Monday, October 18, 2010

keepin' it low key, keepin' it funky

Nice, lazy weekend. Matt was at his friend's bachelor party, cavorting in Atlantic City, so I kept things low-key and had an Incredibly Depressing Movie night. Check it:

Well, Doctor Who isn't incredibly depressing. I just happened to pick that up at the library with the other two.


Precious is one of those cases where I think I actually liked the movie better than the book. They're both incredibly upsetting, but the movie does a better job of making you feel like there's hope for the world despite the fact that incest and illiteracy and domestic abuse exist. 

I didn't know what to expect with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I was familiar with the title because people at the library can't get enough of the book, but no one at the library seems interested in the movie. Maybe because it's a Swedish movie with English subtitles (though a Hollywood remake is in production - bleh). Maybe not. But enough people had told me that the movie was amazing that I just had to know what the fuss was all about. And I don't mind foreign-language films at all, so when I saw it on the New DVD shelf at work, I just grabbed it on impulse.

Anyway, I'm glad I picked it up on a whim, because I really loved it and I may or may not have watched it again with Matt on Sunday. We spent most of the movie either cringing or shouting "WHY ARE THEY RE-MAKING THIS?" in indignant tones. 

In between the two movies I took an e-mail and Facebook break and I was very excited to see an e-mail from Tawni (from Forever Design Studio) in my inbox! She started working on my new design over the weekend, so she sent me what she'd done so far -- and I have to say, it's looking AWESOME. I don't want to ruin the big reveal, and I hope Tawni doesn't mind that I'm leaking classified material, but here's a peep-show preview of what's in store:

 



AWESOME.

Your turn -- how was your weekend? 

2 comments:

  1. I loved Girl With the Dragon Tattoo also! Great acting. I'm honestly looking forward to the Hollywood version - I'm thinking they could ruin it and make it into some shoot-em-up action flick or something and lose the artistic-ness - know what I mean? I guess we'll see though! I loved Precious as well - it's wierd to say it's an uplifting movie because it's so brutal but it is! It really makes you believe that there are good people and things out there if you really look, and it reminded me how freakin lucky I am in my life. Plus the acting is just incredible. Glad you had an awesome weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when Hollywood does that - like recently with "Let Me In." It's a remake of a Swedish flick titled "Let the Right One In" that came out like 2 years ago and I heard it was both really creepy and really good... only it's in Swedish with English subtitles. From the clips I've seen of both, the remake looks eerily almost exactly like the original so why did they really need to remake it?!

    ReplyDelete