Wednesday, June 30, 2010

POST MANIA

The past week or so has been so so crazy and I've had so little time for anything that I actually like to do, so I'm resorting to blogging in between setting up for programs and checking out patrons and cutting out construction paper seahorses.

(RUN ON SENTENCE MANIA)

(Also, who has two thumbs and loves being a youth services librarian assistant? ::points to self:: This girl.)

(That joke is a lot funnier IRL. I swear.)

(PARENTHESES MANIA)

So, I wanted to talk about what's been keeping me away from my lovely little piece of internet real estate, and what the plan is for when everything dies down. You know what happens next, right?

BULLET LIST MANIA!

Where I've been:
- Cleaning and cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. My room, my bathroom, the basement, the den. My relatives from the Philippines are coming to stay for a week and my mother wants the house to be immaculate, I guess so that we can impress them with how quickly our family cleans the house under duress. Because, come on. They'll totally know we only dust the piano when we're having houseguests.
- Picking up tons of extra shifts at work. She works haaaaard for the money!
- Gearing up for this weekend, which is my cousin K's wedding. She's the first cousin to get married on this side of the family, and everyone is going totally sheepshit. The whole process has just been harrowing and never-ending. It's going to be this huge ordeal that involves staying at a hotel in North Jersey with my parents for a whole weekend, and now have to hand out programs and bubbles and candy and my mom doesn't like the shoes I'm wearing and I still have to find a strapless bra to wear with my dress and I don't want to do karaoke at the rehearsal dinner but they're gonna make me and AUGH can't we just show up to the wedding and then leave afterward I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS.


- Fostering my D&D obsession. Despite my initial concerns, D&D has proven to be so. Much fun. It doesn't hurt that we're playing with our really good friends, of course, but there's an aspect of fantasy role-playing that really satisfied something in me. I think it speaks to my inner child who never got tired of playing pretend.

Where I'm going:
- The wedding, obv. Despite all my ranting, I'm sure it'll be fun and/or memorable. And my cousin Maven (not her real name, but she'd approve), whom I haven't seen in years because she lives in the Philippines, is staying with us next week, and that's gonna be totally awesome.
- A Phillies game with Matt, my BFF and some of her friends from college. I haven't been to a baseball game since fourth grade, but how hard could it possibly be to understand baseball? Some guys take turns hitting a ball and running around in a circle. That's the gist... right?
- Down the shore, again, before the oil creeps up the East Coast and coats us all in a Film of Doom.

Also, in July I'm going to do the 30 Days of Me meme and Bloggerstock (which I was signed up for this month but epically failed at remembering to do), and I've got all of these plans for my blog that I've been brainstorming but haven't gotten the chance to implement because at the end of the day I just want to eat sorbet and read Fables and pass out. I just need to get through this weekend. Here goes nothing.

5 comments:

  1. "and everyone is going totally sheepshit."

    Sheepshit. I've never heard/read anyone use that as, like, an expression, but I'll be incorporating it into every conversation now.

    Looks like you have a lot of really cool things on the horizon. Hope you have fun with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered going to my first Dodgers game when I was 21 even though I've been an Angeleno for my of my life haha. It was for my friend's bday (who is a die hard Dodger's fan) and basically all I thought was "wow, there's a lot of dead air in between, we basically spent most our time talking and singing while we wait for someone to hit the ball and we just suddenly go crazy when someone hits homerun."

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amber - I have to confess that I picked up that gem from a Flight of the Conchords bit. Look at me, all "I-cannot-tell-a-lie" and shit! Seriously though, plagiarism is for chumps.

    @Julie - Yeah, I've lived in this area my whole life and only started attending sporting events two years ago. Also, didn't you know that in Philly we fill the dead air by shouting insults and profanity at the other team? It's quite an effective time-killer! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are your relatives going to bring Lumpia? Every time my aunt comes to visit, she brings Lumpia that her mother makes. It's the most amazing thing. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I capitalized lumpia, btw. It's just that good.

    ReplyDelete