Friday, May 7, 2010

what i'm wishing for

Ever since I got into grad school I've been unnecessarily celebrating whenever possible. Yesterday my sister and I went to the Cheesecake Factory and I dropped like 70 bucks on lunch just because I felt like eating a special "CONGRATULATIONS" meal. I went to the mall with Matt on Tuesday and bought myself 5 new pairs of underwear from Victoria's Secret, because underwear is obviously essential to the graduate school experience.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm in an "I'm worth it" kind of mood lately. And when I get into that kind of mood, I get really, really materialistic. I start remembering all of the things I wanted to buy that I couldn't afford or didn't really need that are somehow suddenly worth getting now because hey, I'm awesome!

And because you care, this is my "Suddenly Worth Getting" Wishlist.


An Erin Condren Life Planner. When I was in undergrad my planner was my lifeline. But since I graduated, things have been pretty low-key and thus I haven't really needed one lately. But things are COMPLETELY different now. I'm going to have assignments! Meetings! Registration deadlines! Not to mention a pretty hefty work schedule! I need a planner to sort all of that stuff out. And clearly I need a planner that can be customized with my name and the photo of my choice and comes with nifty stickers and bookplates and 2 matching notepads that costs three times as much as a planner from Target or Staples. Clearly. [Edit 5/8 @ 11:32 AM - I went ahead and bought one because they happen to be on SUPER UBER SALE right now. Hooray for semi-impulse purchases!]


A new iPod and a new iTrip. Hey, I'm going to be a commuter student, and it's a one-and-a-half hour drive all the way up to campus. I'm going to need something to play my audiobooks and my music so I don't go crazy on the way there and the way back. Because let's be honest, the radio just isn't cutting it these days. I've listened to "Eenie Meenie" by Justin Bieber feat. Sean Kingston way more times than I care to divulge here.


A Flip Mino HD video camera. I ... uh. When I walk to class, I'll need to, uh. Film myself. So I can remember how to... get there. Okay, I can't really think of a reason why I'd need this for grad school, but I've wanted one for years.


An Apple MacBook. This is the big one, the one I'm very seriously considering. My little old Dell has been a such a trooper, but I really do think I'm going to need a new laptop for grad school. And I've been thinking about making the switch to Apple for a couple of months now. The dealbreaker was yesterday, when a bunch of my co-workers overheard me saying that I wanted a new computer for school and they all recommended Mac. They said that on the youth services track, they'd had to do a lot of multimedia projects that a Mac would have been perfect for. I'm hoping to be able to scrounge up the money to buy one by July or August. And I'm also hoping to panhandle at my parents to help me out a little -- but my dad thinks Macs are disgustingly overpriced, so I'm not sure if that's going to go over well.

I'm curious -- what's on your wishlist these days?

Alternately: Do those of you who use Macs have a good solid list of pros and cons when it comes to working on Apple computers?

And even more alternately-er: Did anyone go to a midnight showing of Iron Man 2? What is the verdict? I'm thinking of suggesting that as our Friday night date and I wanted to see if people liked it. [Edit 5/8 @ 8:39 AM - We went to go see it  and we loved Robert Downey, Jr. and the sidelong Avengers references, and we didn't love some other things, but it's a superhero action movie directed by the guy from Swingers so I'm not being nitpicky.]

Have a kick-ass weekend everybody, and DFTBA.